Hairdresser Pushpa Kara is regarded as one of the top blow-dryers in the business. She shares her insider tips on how to get a professional standard blow-dry.
• Rough dry the hair to 60 per cent before you start. Then apply a blow-dry lotion such as Joico Silk Results Straight Smoother (£12.95; 0845 071 2326) to make it easier to style.
• Invest in a ceramic-coated round brush such as Kent Brush KS30 (£9.50; 01442 232623) as these retain heat and work well on long, layered locks.
• Hold the hairdryer upright and direct the air flow down the hair shaft. This will encourage the smaller, finer hairs to lie flat, giving you a smoother finish.
• Work with small sections of hair. You will have greater control of the brush this way and less tangles.
• Start to blow-dry from the nape of the neck and work your way up. This makes blow-drying easier and you won’t be disturbing the dry, finished hair.
• Ensure that the first section of hair is blow-dried perfectly before continuing - the rest should just fall into place.